Prof. Dr. Handschel, PhD, is a maxillofacial surgeon. Since 2015 together with Dr. Klaus Schulte, PhD, he heads the Klinik am Kaiserteich in Düsseldorf.
Prof. Dr. Handschel, PhD, has almost 20 years of experience in maxillofacial surgery. From 1987 to 1992 he studied dentistry at the University of Münster. In 1991 he had a three-month practical training in Durban, South Africa. In 1992 he passed the national examination in dentistry and got admission as practicing physician. In 1993 he gained the medical PhD in dentistry. In 1998 he became oral surgeon, in 2000 he passed his third medical examination, got admission as practicing physician and the second medical PhD.
Since April 2003 Prof. Handschel has been working in the Maxillofacial and Plastic Surgery Clinic at the University of Düsseldorf. In 2006 he became maxillofacial surgeon and department chief. In 2007 he got the right to teach at high schools. Since 2008 he has been appointed deputy director of the clinic.
Area of Focus:
- Trauma surgery of the facial skeleton
- Elongation of the facial skeleton surgery (dysgnathia surgery).
- Birth defects surgeries (surgeries to eliminate cleft lip, jaw and palate).
- Head and neck cancer treatment / surgery.
- Head and neck defect restoration.
- Facial skin tumor surgery.
- Aesthetic facial surgery (blepharoplasty (dacryocyst correction), rhinoplasty, surgical removal of wrinkles, conservative removal of wrinkles (Botox, hyaluronic acid)).
- Dentoalveolar surgery (microscopic apiectomy, third molar extraction / tooth extraction, tooth degloving, pre-prosthetic surgery, bone regeneration).
- German Maxillofacial Surgery Association (DGMKG).
- German Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Association (DGPW).
- German Teeth, Mouth and Jaws Health Association (DGZMK).
- Professional Orthognatic Surgery Association (AGKi).
- A lot of publications and books in German and English.